Honour Killing in Islam
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
In short, there is no such thing as honour killing in Islam. The Quran, Hadith and the Shariah totally forbid the killing of a family or clan member based on his belief that the victim brought dishonour upon the family, clan, or community.
There are many Quranic verses and Ahadith which prohibit the vile act of killing and murder.
Allah (SWA) says in the Holy Quran:
- 1. And whoever kills a believer deliberately, his reward is Jahannam: he shall remain forever therein, and Allah will be furious with him and will curse him, and will prepare for him a wretched torment” (Surah Nisaa v.93)
- 2. “For that cause, we decreed for the Children of Israel that whosoever kills a human for other than manslaughter or corruption in the earth, it shall be as if he had killed all humanity; and whoso saves the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind.” (Surah Maidah v.32)
- The Prophet of Allah Sallallahu Alaihi Wasalam said, “Avoid the seven noxious things”, and after saying this, the Prophet of Allah Sallallahu Alaihi Wasalam mentioned, “associating anything with Allah, magic, killing a person without a just reason, consuming the property of an orphan, fleeing from battle when the army is advancing and slandering chaste women.” (Sahih Bukhari & Sahih Muslim)
- The Prophet of Allah Sallallahu Alaihi Wasalam said “The destruction of the entire universe is less significant to Allah than the unjust killing of a single believer.” (Sunan Ibn Majah)
- The Prophet of Allah Sallallahu Alaihi Wasalam said “Whoever aids someone in killing a believer, even if with merely one word, he shall meet Allah Mighty and Glorious on the Day of Resurrection with the following phrase inscribed on his forehead, ‘In complete despair of Allah’s mercy‘.” (Sunan Baihaqi)
Encyclopaedia Britannica stated: “Such “honour killings” are in fact violations of both civil and Islamic law, but perpetrators frequently use religious reasons to defend their actions, thereby giving the crime a veneer of justification.” (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/483544/punishment/272344/Punishment-in-non-Western-societies#ref=ref991101)
Only Allah Knows Best
Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham