Fatwa ID: 03346
Answered by: Maulana Jamal Ahmed
How can a woman benefit from ulama ki sohbat. Apart from listening to bayaans on youtube and waiting eagerly for them to do a bayaan in the local masjid.
Is it appropriate to write letters to them asking for advice /naseehat?
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْم
In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
Allah subhanahu wa ta’alah says in the Quran “O you who have believed, fear Allah and be with those who are true.” Surah 9 Al tawba, ayah 119.
Imam Qurtubi says “one of the meanings of Sadiqeen (the true ones) is that it means those who are internally and externally equal.” Pg. 289, vol. 8, darul kutub al misriyah. This ayah refers to the pious people whose beliefs and actions do not contradict, they fear Allah secretly and publically and they always strive to be true in their words and actions.
We are commanded to remain in the company of the pious and the true ones, this could be done in different ways.
1) To be in their presence and benefit from their wise words and actions and try to be of service to them. This can be possible only if both the sheikh and the seeker are of the same gender.
2) Listen to their lectures from distance.
3) Read books which talk about the lives of the prophets, sahaba, tabioon and other pious people, whether they are males or females.
4) Write to them by emailing or by other means.
5) Send some mahram e.g. father, brother or husband to a sheikh to enquire about a particular incident or to ask for advice. If the pious person is a woman then you will have the convenience to benefit from them directly.
6) You can also ask the sheikh questions yourself from behind a veil.
Only Allah knows best
Written by Maulana Jamal Ahmed
Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham