Fatwa ID: 02129
Answered by Molana Eunus Ali
What is the method of Salah in Hanafi mathab? I know how to pray but i want to be sure that i am offering salah correctly or not.
The method of Salah according to the Hanafi school of thought is as follows:
- To raise both hands until the thumbs are parallel to the earlobes whilst saying the takbir (Allahu Akbar).
- To place the right hand over the left, beneath the navel.
- To recite the thanaa (Subhaanak allaahumma wa bihamdika wa tabaarak asmuka wa ta’aala jadduka walaa ilaaha ghayruk)
- To recite the ta’awuzh (A`ūdhu billāhi min ash-shaitāni r-rajīm)
- To recite the tasmiyyah (Bism'Illaha'Rahmani 'Raheem)
- To recite Surah Fatihah.
- To recite a Surah or 3 verses from any Surah.
- To say the takbir and perform the ruku’ (bowing position).
- the hands should be placed on the knee,
- the fingers should be left open wide,
- the back should be made straight,
- the head should not be raised or lowered, rather synced with the back ,
- to recite subhaana rabbi al-‘azim (at least 3 times)
- To rise up from ruku’ whilst saying samiallah huliman hamida, Rabbanaa Lakal Hamd.
- To stand up straight with the hands placed by the side.
- To say the takbir whilst proceeding towards sajdah (prostation):
- Rest hands on the ground
- Place the face between the hand
- The nose and the forehead should be placed on the ground
- Arms should be widened that the armpits open up and both elbow and forearm must not touch the ground.
- Thighs should be separated from the stomach
- Toes should be faced towards the Qiblah
- To recite subhanna rabbiyal-a’la (at least 3 times)
- To sit up whilst saying the takbir.
- To say the takbir and perform sajdah (following the method mentioned in number 10).
- To rise from sajdah until standing up straight (taking support from the ball of the feet, no support should be taken from the ground using the hands) whilst saying the takbir.
This completes the first Rak’ah.
- The second Rak’ah will be carried out in the same manner as the first rak’ah, except the thanaa will not be recited.
- Upon completing the second sajdah in the second rak’ah, the left foot will be laid down flat and will be sat on whilst the right foot will be kept erect and the toes will be facing the Qiblah
- The hands should be placed on the thighs
- To recite the tashahud (At-Tahiy-yatu lil-lahi was-salawatu wat-tay yibatu, As-Salamy ‘alika ay-yuhan-nabiy-yu wa rahma tullahi wa barakatu, As salamu ‘alayna wa ‘ala ‘ibadil-la his-saliheen , Ash hadu al la ilaha illal lahu, wa ash hadu an-na Muhammadan ‘abduhu wa rasuluh).
- To recite the salat was salaam/durood (Allahumma salli ala Muhammad, Wa ala ali Muhammad, Kama sallayta ala Ibrahim, Wa ala ali Ibrahim, Innaka hamidun majid Allahumma Barik ala Muhammad Wa ala ali Muhammad Kama, barakta ala Ibrahim, Wa ala ali Ibrahim Innaka hamidun majid)
- To recite the dua Allahumma inni zalamtu nafsi zulman kathiran wala yaghfirudh-dhunuba illa anta, Faghfirli maghfiratan min indika war-hamni, innaka antal Ghafur-Rahim
- To say salaam by turning the head to the right and then to the left saying assalamualaikum warahmatullah. This will conclude the salah.
If performing more than 2 rak’ah, after the tashahud the person will stand back up to the standing position and perform the remainder of the rak’ah like the first 2 rak’ah. The salah will then be concluded as mentioned above.
(Mukhtasarul Quduri, Page 68-78. Maktabatul Bushra)
The salah of a woman will be in the same manneras mentioned above with the following exception:
- When commencing the salah the hand will be raised up to the shoulders.
- The right palm will be placed on top of the back of the left hand beneath the chest.
- When going to ruku’ the back will not be completely straightened, rather the person will slightly lean forward so that the hands can reach the knee.
- The fingers will be closed (not left wide open) in ruku’.
- The limbs will be kept close to the body during the ruku’ and sajdah (whereas men will spread their limbs).
- In sajdah the forearms will be placed on the ground (whilst the men will keep them lifted).
- In the sitting position, the women will sit on their buttocks whilst both legs will be placed on the right side.
- The Muslim women will adopt the most concealing method in salah.
(Raddul Muhtar, Volume 2, Page 211. Darul Kutubul Ilmiyyah)
Only Allah Knows Best
Written by Molana Eunus Ali
Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham