Can someone impose their decision on inheritence?

CategoriesInheritance [119]

Fatwa ID: 02825

Answered by: Maulana Tahsin Alam​


Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah

can the father or the mother or if none of the parents are alive then the legal heirs of a son and daughter distribute the leftover wealth as per their wish or impose their decision on one who does not agree for equal distribution who wants his share as per sharia.

Can the mother change the law of inheritance and distribute equally to boys and girls?

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْم

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah

It is binding upon the distributor to accurately divide the inheritance as per how the Shariʿah dictates. No one is able to change these shares. If a person voluntarily gifts their portion to another, that is fine.


Only Allah knows best


Written by Moulana Tahsin Alam

Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

About the author