Fatwa ID: 05941
Answered by: Shaykh Ahmed Bin Mohamed Umarji
Does any Darul Iftas endorse vertical cuts?
In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
Vertical cut otherwise known as the European cut is not endorsed by any Darul Ifta or Halal Certification bodies. The following are the statements of the Halal Certification bodies and industry experts.
- Australian Halal Food Services “The vertical cut that you are talking about is not a Halal cut”
- New Zealand Islamic Meat Management “we will not consider it as Halal certifier to be producing Halal meat. For me personally and with my medical background I cannot accept this as Halal way of slaughtering animals to bleed it to death.”
- Islamic Services of America “Based on my years of experience my answer is no it is not Sharia-compliant.”
- Harris Ranch “In my opinion, the vertical cut is not sufficient for the Islamic slaughter because it does not fulfil the Islamic requirements for slaughter.”
- South African National Halal Authority “None of the scholars have to our knowledge endorsed and/or approved the vertical cut and none would due to the fact that it compromises the Halaal ritual slaughter process and also is in conflict to the accepted prescribed procedure.”
- Dr Mazhar Hussaini “As far as I know, with vertical cut, it is not possible to cut all four passages, i.e., Trachea, Esophagus, Jugular veins, and Carotid arteries.”1
Only Allah knows best
Written by Shaykh Ahmed Bin Mohamed Umarji
Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham