Fatwa ID: 05633
Answered by: Mufti Muhammad Imad Ali
I used to suffer severe OCD waswasa’s. Once in Ramadan, I kept thinking that I had to have ghusl and that Allah kept giving me signs that I was impure (even though now I realise I wasn’t).
So I had a ghusl whilst fasting and then I thought if the water doesn’t reach my throat my ghusl is not accepted thus my namaaz is not as well. So I let the water get to my throat and I think (I am sure) it went down. Will I have to do kaffarah?
If I do, then I find it very difficult to fast 60 days as living in the west the fasts are super long and tiring and even now doing my qadha’s for Ramadan is hard because I get thoughts that they are not counted and I’ll have to do it again. Could I feed 60 poor people instead?
In the name of Allah the most Beneficent, the most Merciful
Shaitan will try to create waswasas in particular in the hearts of the believers, especially in salah by creating worldly thoughts and doubts in it. The musalli should be firm and not give in to these whispers and thoughts and should not allow the accursed Shaitan to overpower him. (Mazaahirul Haqq p.155 v.1)
Saaiduna Abu Hurairah narrates that the Prophet (PBUH) said, ‘Allah has forgiven my ummah regarding those waswasas that creep into their hearts so long as they do not act upon them or bring them into their tongues’. (Mishkatul Masaabeeh p.18 v.1)
Things that break one’s fast are of two kinds, some make only Qadhaa necessary, whilst others make both Qadhaa and Kaffaarah compulsory.
- Qadhaa; to keep one fast in place of one that breaks, or is broken intentionally.
- Kaffaarah: to keep one fast after another for SIXTY days CONTINUOUSLY. However, if a person is unable to keep these 60 Rozas, for some valid reason, e.g. continuous sickness, then one has the option of choosing from one of the following four:
- Feed sixty poor people to their fill for two meals.
- Feed one poor person two meals a day, for sixty days.
- Give sixty poor persons 3 and a half Ibs. (Approx. 1.6kg) of wheat or its value in cash or food grains.
- Give to one poor person not less than 3.5 Ibs of wheat, rice grains, etc, or its value in cash for sixty days.
(Ta’leemul Haq, pg, 158)
Water going down the throat whilst gargling, (whilst being conscious of one’s fast) is one of the things that break one’s fast but make only Qadhaa Wajib.
(Ta’leemul Haq, pg, 159)
Therefore, you will just need to make Qadhaa of the fasts you broke in this manner and also don’t let the Shaitaan overpower you with these waswasa thoughts. May Allah guide us and forgive us Aameen.
Only Allah knows best.
Written by Mufti Muhammad Imad Ali
Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham