Fatwa ID: 05959
Answered by: Alimah Sofia Mirza
1. In Bahishti Zewar (English version), I think there were some points about where the mazi and mani come from in women. But since I hadn’t bought the book, I don’t think it is appropriate for me to see the free pdf again. Please check the Bahishti Zewar you have as you know the book more:
2. The fluid from the Skene’s glands (two small holes near urethra) and the Bartholin’s glands (some say its ducts lead into the vaginal hole while others say its ducts go out into the vulva) expel fluid during arousal that is exactly like sweat and not sticky like mazi. Scientists also say 4 more things:
(1) that the presence of these glands is not noticeable for all women,
(2) some women don’t have Skene’s glands,
(3) some scientists say that the vaginal walls themselves lubricate during arousal and produce vaginal transudate (mazi)
(4) that the Skene’s glands expel female ejaculate (mani) during climax but this is a debated opinion because some women said that they don’t produce any fluid during the climax.
Also, the labia minora also sweat during arousal for lubrication.
The reason why I am worried is that mazi breaks Wudu and I put tissue inside farj ad-daakhil to stop it. But then I read about these glands. When I get involuntary but strong sexual impulses, I do feel liquid coming from the urethra and during wet dreams, mani seems to come from there too. But when I wake up, I see mazi is one the tissue.
So will this fluid be treated as sweat that doesn’t break Wudu (because the whole body starts sweating during arousal, including the labia minora)? And sweat doesn’t break Wudu. Or is this napaak fluid?
In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
Skene’s glands produce and ejaculate a fluid (not pee!) before or during orgasm that may protect your body from infections.1 Arousal fluid comes from the Bartholin’s gland in and around the vagina and arrives when you feel sexually aroused.
The texture of all these liquids is different and the time in which they are discharged are also different, when it comes to the Madhi it is a clear and slippery texture that comes out during arousal or foreplay before the climax is reached. The cervical fluid which is the Wadi is more like mucus and can be discharged usually during the ovulation period. Mani, on the other hand, is the liquid that comes from the Skene glands which are tiny structures that extend into the Urethra at the time of orgasm. Ghusl only becomes obligatory when Mani comes out, Wudu becomes obligatory when wadi or Madhi come out2. Hence if you feel some liquid being discharged at the time of an orgasm it will be Mani or at the time of sexual arousal, it will be Madhi otherwise if not during any sexual actions it will be a normal mucus-like discharge it will be wadi which is thick unlike sweat from the Labia Minora which is not thick and is watery but will not be considered as Madhi or Mani because it has not been discharged during any sexual encounters or wet dreams. In conclusion, if there is any discharge at the time of an orgasm which does not occur in all women it will be considered as Mani and Ghusl will become obligatory, if not then at the time of arousal is Madhi which breaks the wudu and in all other times, mucus-like discharge obligates wudu otherwise just liquid sweat does not necessitate anything. It is advised you look at the timing during the discharge and the texture and with the above guidelines determine which discharge it is.
Only Allah knows best
Written by Alimah Sofia Mirza
Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham
2 Raddul Muhtaar, Vol 1 Pg. 165 Darul Fikr Beirut
يْ لَا يُفْرَضُ الْغُسْلُ عِنْدَ خُرُوجِ مَذْيٍ كَظَبْيٍ بِمُعْجَمَةٍ سَاكِنَةٍ وَيَاءٍ مُخَفَّفَةٍ عَلَى الْأَفْصَحِ، وَفِيهِ الْكَسْرُ مَعَ التَّخْفِيفِ وَالتَّشْدِيدِ، وَقِيلَ هُمَا لَحْنُ مَاءٌ رَقِيقٌ أَبْيَضُ يَخْرُجُ عِنْدَ الشَّهْوَةِ لَا بِهَا، وَهُوَ فِي النِّسَاءِ أَغْلَبُ، قِيلَ هُوَ مِنْهُنَّ يُسَمَّى الْقَذَى بِمَفْتُوحَتَيْنِ نَهْرٌ.
(قَوْلُهُ: أَوْ وَدْيٌ) بِمُهْمَلَةٍ سَاكِنَةٍ وَيَاءٍ مُخَفَّفَةٍ عِنْدَ الْجُمْهُورِ، وَحَكَى الْجَوْهَرِيُّ كَسْرَ الدَّالِ مَعَ تَشْدِيدِ الْيَاءِ. قَالَ ابْنُ مَكِّيٍّ: لَيْسَ بِصَوَابٍ. وَقَالَ أَبُو عُبَيْدٍ إنَّهُ الصَّوَابُ وَإِعْجَامُ الدَّالِ شَاذٌّ: مَاءٌ ثَخِينٌ أَبْيَضُ كَدِرٌ يَخْرُجُ عَقِبَ الْبَوْلِ نَهْرٌ