In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful.
1. It is a Sunnah to sleep in the state of wudhu. (Sahih Bukhari & Sahih Muslim)
2. Before climbing into the bed, dust the bed thrice with a cloth. (Sahih Bukhahi & Sahih Muslim)
3. Before sleeping say “Bismillah” and do the following:
- Close the door
- Put out the lamps and switch off electrical appliances.
The Prophet of Allah Sallallahu Alahi Wasalam said, “Truly this fire is an enemy to you, so when you get to bed put it out.” (Sahih Muslim)
- Close any container with food or drink inside it.
The Prophet of Allah Sallallahu Alahi Wasalam has said, “There is a night in the year in which plague descends, it does not pass by any open container or flask but something of the plague enters therein.” (Sahih Muslim)
4. When going to sleep it is Sunnah to apply Kuhl (Surma) thrice in each eye for both men and women. (Shamaail Tirimizi)
5. Before sleeping recite Subhanallah 33 times, Alhamdulilah 33times and Allahu Akbar 34 times (Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim)
6. Sleeping on the right hand side and facing the Qibla is Sunnat. (Sahih Bukhari & Sahih Muslim)
Only Allah Knows Best
Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham.