Which of the Two Cities are Watn Asli

CategoriesSalaah [798]

Fatwa ID: 04776

Answered by: Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah




I’m confused about the following two cities that which one is my watan-e-asli or both are my watan-e-asli. The details relating to each city are listed below: –
City A (Native Town):
•              My parent’s hometown where I was brought up and got education till matriculation.
•              My parents own their home and other property, some of which is also registered in my name however actual possession remains with them.
City B (Work Town):
•              At a distance greater than 200 Kms from City A.
•              My work town where I’m employed. However, the nature of the job is of contract and currently the contract is of 3 years. This is my first job after completing my education.
•              Currently living with my wife and a child in a rented house and I don’t own any property in this city.
Note: Currently I’m not confident whether I would ever be able to return to City A, the Native Town, as a permanent resident because I’m a computer engineer and there are no job opportunities for me. On the contrary, I’m not sure if I would ever be able to build my own house in City B, the Work Town, because it’s really a very costly city and after retirement, I had to return to City A (the NativeTown).



In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful




The watn asli usually refers to a person’s hometown where he has taken up residence or a place beside his birthplace in which he has assumed permanent residence along with his family. After settling he has no intention of leaving the place. (Bahrur Raaiq p.136 v.2)


If a person relocates with his family and possessions to his place of employment with the intention that he will live there forever even if his employment terminates then this place will assume the status of watn asli. However, if a person relocates with his family but intends to live in his place of employment only for the duration of his employment then there are two opinions. Some scholars say this place will not be regarded as his watn asli. Whereas other scholars have regarded such a place as watn asli, i.e. both places will be considered as watn asli. (Ahsanul Fatawa p.102 v.4)


Ibn Humam (RA) in his Fathul Qadeer has written that a place will cease to be regarded as watn asli if the following two conditions are found:

  1. A person completely disassociates himself from his watn asli and moves away with his family.
  2. He assumes permanent residence in another town.


With regards to your question if you have severed all ties with the previous place (not leaving any property or family behind) then if you pass by the previous place on a journey you will have to perform qasr salah if you do not stay for fifteen days or more. (Kifayatul Mufti p.350 v.3) However, if you intend to live in this place of employment only for the duration of your employment then both places will be your watn asli. (Imdadul Fatawa p.585 v.1)



Only Allah Knows Best

Written by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham




About the author