Would masah khuffain break if water seeps into the khuff?
In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful.
It is permissible to make masah over leather socks, which are called khuffain.
Saaiduna Jafar bin Amr bin Umaiya Ad-Damri narrates, my father said ‘I saw the Prophet of Allah Sallallahu Alahi Wasalam passing wet hands over his khuffs (leather socks)’ (Sahih Bukhari)
Four conditions need to be found for masah over the khuffain to be valid.
- The socks must be strong enough to enable walking in them on roads for approximately three miles without the socks tearing.
- The socks should remain in position (covering the foreleg) without being tied. They should not slip. Socks which have elastic sewn into them (to keep them in position) will be regarded as being tied.
- Water must not be able to seep through.
- The socks must not be transparent or even semi-transparent.
The following things break the masah over the khuffain.
1. All things that break wudhu.
2.Removal of the Sock (khuffain).
3. The expiry period i.e. 72 hours for a traveller (Musafir) and 24 hours for someone who is not travelling (Muqeem)
4. If after making masah one sets foot in a puddle of water and water enters the khuff wetting more than half the foot, then masah will be nullified. Both khuffain must be removed and the feet washed. (Ilmul Fiqh p.80 v.1)
Only Allah Knows Best
Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham.