Fatwa ID: 01458
Answered by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah
what are the signs by which a women can identify that the discharge is semen or female ejaculate? Since women have white discharge and vaginal lubrication also .How to differenciate between the three?My life has become miserable due to waswasas regarding these discharges I have doubts 24 hours whether my ghusl is valid or not due to this discharges.Please help me?
In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful.
There are three fluids, which come out of ones private parts.
- Mani: The discharge of semen accompanied by sexual lust. This discharge tends to be thick.
- Madhi: Also known as prostatic fluid. It is a white thin, sticky fluid that is released during foreplay or kissing.
- Wadi is a white cloudy fluid that is thin and warm and has no smell. It is generally released after urinating and occasionally before. (Nurul Idah p.55)
With regards to the aforementioned fluids, its only if there was discharge of mani after intercourse or lust which necessitates ghusl. The discharge of the remaining two only necessitates wudhu and not ghusl. (Hidayah p.33 v.1)
From the facts of your question it seems as though you are not discharging semen but vaginal discharge. There are two ways to look at this:
- The first is that it is considered like those impurities, which come out of ones private parts, which break the wudhu, hence, in this situation wudhu will also break. This also includes all female discharges. (Raddul Muhtar p.260 v.1)
- The second situation is that it is considered the wetness a woman feels outside her vagina. This in Arabic is called “rutubat al-farj” (chronic vaginal discharge) that comes out normally and regularly, and is clear and not discoloured. This is deemed pure, thus the wudhu will not break. (Raddul Muhtar p.305 v.1)
If a woman is suffering from regular vaginal discharge (like in your case) then one should insert a tampon, pad, and cotton inside to prevent the discharge from coming. Until the discharge does not show on the area of the pad, which is beyond the inner part of the vagina, wudhu will not break. (Fatawa Mahmoodiyah p.197 v.16)
However, if the discharge is continuous to the extent that you are unable to do wudhu and read the compulsory rakaats of the fardh prayer you will be considered a Mazoor.
A Ma’zoor shall make Wudhu for every Fardh Salah. The wudhu of a Ma’zoor remains valid for the duration of the Salah time and all the factors which break wudhu besides the factor responsible for making one Ma’zoor, will nullify the wudhu of a Ma’zoor. (Ahsanul Fatawa p.77 v.2 & Fatawa Darul Uloom Deoband p.298 v.1)
Only Allah Knows Best
Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham