The principles of Sajdah Sahwa.
In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful.
Sajdah Sahwa becomes obligatory under the following circumstances:
- Any wajib act being omitted.
- Any wajib act being displaced, i.e. observing it before time or later than its actual occasion of being observed.
- Any wajib act being delayed to the extent of one rukn i.e. the time taken to say subhanallah three times.
- Any wajib act being reported.
- Any wajib act being altered, e.g. loud recitation being recited in place of silent recitation.
- Any fardh act being displaced, i.e. observing it before time or later than its actual occasion of being observed.
- Any fardh act being repeated. (Raddul Muhtar p.543 v.2)
If any of the above mishaps occur due to forgetfulness, only then Sajdah Sahwa will remedy the error. However, if a person deliberately missed the aforementioned things then his salah will break. Sajdah Sahwa will not be sufficient. (Mazahirul Haqq p.21 v.2)
If a person observed only one sajdah in any rakaat then as soon as he realizes his mistake he should leave of his salah from wherever he is and perform his omitted sajdah and covert to the position where he had left off his salah and continue from there in the usual manner and observe a sajdah sahwa at the end. (Fatawa Hindiyyah p.127 v.1)
Only Allah Knows Best
Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham