Fatwa ID: 03082
Answered by: Maulana Imran Mughal
Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah
After the death of Prophet Muhammad, which of his wives died first?
In The Name Of Allah, The Most-Merciful, The Most Kind
The Prophet (peace be upon him) was married to thirteen women throughout his life. Two passed away before he did, namely Khadijah and Zaynab the daughter of Khuzaymah (may Allah be pleased with them).
Nine of his wives remained alive after his death. The following shows the date of the death of each of his wives in order:
1. Zaynab the daughter of Jahsh, passed away 20th of Hijrah.
2. Hafsah the daughter of Umar bin al-Khattab, passed away 41st of Hijrah.
3. Umm Habibah the daughter of Abu Sufyan, passed away 44th of Hijrah.
4. Maymunah the daughter of Harith, passed away 49th of Hijrah.
5. Saffiyah the daughter of Huyayy, passed away 50th of Hijrah.
6. Sawdah the daughter of Zam’ah, passed away 54th of Hijrah.
7. Juwayriyah the daughter of Harith, passed away 56th of Hijrah.
8. Aishah the daughter of Abu Bakr, passed away 58th of Hijrah.
9. Umm Salamah the daughter of Abu Umayyah, passed away 61st of Hijrah.
Only Allah Ta’ala knows best
Written by Maulana Imran Mughal
Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham
 Imam As-Suhayli, Ar-Rawd Al-Unuf (Beirut: DKI, 2009), 4:431.
 Hafiz Ibn Hajar, Al-Isabah (Beirut:DKI, 1995).