Can the Parents of a Deceased Adult Decide how Their Inheritance is Devided

CategoriesInheritance [119]

Fatwa ID: 04063

Answered by: Alimah Sabrina al-Faarsiyyah



Dear respected Sir/Madam,

Can the father or the mother or if none of the parents is alive, then the legal heir's son and daughter, distribute the leftover wealth as per their wish or impose their decision on one who does not agree for equal distribution, who wants his share as per Shariah?


Can the mother change the law of inheritance and distribute it equally to boys and girls? Hope to get a detailed reply as per the Quran and Sunnah.



بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful




The rulings of inheritance have been mentioned in the Qur’an, as well as the shares that each member of the family gets. Therefore, no one can change this ruling and impose their own decisions, even if it's the parents or other guardians.



Only Allah knows best

Written by Alimah Sabrina al-Faarsiyyah

Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham




About the author