Post natal bleeding
In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful.
The discharge of blood after the birth of a child or after a miscarriage is known as Nifas.
The Prophet of Allah Sallallahu Alahi Wasalam has said “The time of Nifas is forty days unless Tuhr (purity) is attained before it.” (Mustadrak Hakim)
There is a general consensus that there is no minimum limit of Nifas. The total length of Nifas is from the delivery of the child till when the bleeding stops (up to the limit of forty days). Only if the bleeding stops for 15 days at any time within this period does the Nifas end. If the bleeding does not stop for 15 days then Nifas will continue irrespective of how short or random the bleeding is. (Raddul Muhtar p.496 v.1)
1. A woman who experiences post natal bleeding is not allowed to recite any verses from the Holy Quran.
Saaiduna Ibn Umar Radiallahu Anhu relates that the Prophet of Allah Sallallahu Alahi Wasalam has said “A Haidh and a person in need of a bath must not recite anything from the Holy Quran.” (Sunan Tirmizi p.34 v.1)
NOTE: A Haidh and Post Natal bleeding woman have the same ruling.
2. Similarly, she is not allowed to perform tawaf. Saaidah Aaisha Radiallahu Anha came to Makkah for Hajj and was a Haidh. She complained to the Prophet of Allah Sallallahu Alahi Wasalam that she was unable to perform the rituals of Hajj. The Prophet of Allah Sallallahu Alahi Wasalam informed her “Do what the pilgrims do apart from tawaf, which should be done when you become purified.” (Sahih Bukhari p.44 v.1)
3. She is not allowed to enter the Mosque.
Saaidha Aaisha Radiallahu Anhu relates that the Prophet of Allah Sallallahu Alahi Wasalam would be in Itikaf while she was in her room which was adjacent to the Masjid, he would stretch his head out of the Masjid for her to watch while she was a Haidh. (Sahih Bukhari)
4. She is not allowed to fast or pray. However she should do qadha of the fasts on a later date. (Raddul Muhtar p.485 v.1)
5. She is not allowed to engage herself in sexual intercourse. (Surah Baqarah v.222)
6. She will be allowed to engage in foreplay (touching, kissing etc) with her husband. The only restriction is that intercourse is not to be engaged.
Saaidah Aaisha Radiallahu Anhu reports if any of the wives of the Prophet of Allahu Sallallahu Alahi Wasalam became a Haidh, the Prophet of Allah Sallallahu Alahi Wasalam would instruct her to trouser herself and he would then engage in foreplay. (Sahih Muslim p.141 v.1)
Direct contact between the womans’ navel and the knees is impermissible. Indirect contact such as stimulation through a barrier (i.e.clothing) is permissible. Similarly, direct contact above the navel and below the knees is permissible. (Fatawa Hindiyyah p.39 v.1)
- It will be permissible for a woman experiencing post natal bleeding to hold dua books with verses of the Quran in them. It is permitted to recite duas from the Holy Quran with the intention of dua, though not with the intention of reciting the Holy Quran. (Raddul Muhtar p.488 v.1)
Only Allah Knows Best
Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham