Fatwa ID: 01642
Answered by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah
9 year old asks: The Quran says the day of judgement will come. How and when will it come?
Only Allah knows the exact time when Day of Qiyamah will occur. However, the Prophet of Allah has given us plenty of information regarding the signs which will happen before the end of time.
There are two types of minor signs of Day of Judgement:
1. Immediate Signs 2. Later Signs
Immediate Signs of Day of judgement
- The birth and the demise of The Prophet of Allah . The Prophet of Allah once said; ‘I and Qiyamah have been sent like this.’ He indicated the closeness of these events (His coming and Qiyamah) by holding his index finger and middle finger together. (Sahih Muslim P.406 V.2)
- The splitting of the moon. Allah in the Holy Quran has said; ‘The hour of judgement is drawing near, and the moon is cleft in two’. (Surah Qamar V.1)
- The incident of the tartars narrated by Saaiduna Abu Hurairah that the Prophet of Allah said that ‘Qiyamah will not take place until you people do not engage in battle with the Turks (Does not refer to Turkish people) who have small eyes, reddish faces and small flat noses, their faces will be like a shield upon which many layers of skin have been placed. Qiyamah will not occur until you do not fight with that nation which wears shoes made of hair.’ (Sahih Bukhari P.1053 V.2)
Later signs of Day of Judgement
- Liars – Saaiduna Abu Hurairah narrates that the Prophet of Allah said ‘In the last days, such liars and deceitful people will emerge, who will tell you such things (baseless interpretations and distortions about Islam) which neither you, nor your forebears would have heard about. Beware of them, beware of them. It should not happen that they lead you astray’. (Mishkatul Masaabeeh p.28 v.1)
- Saaiduna Abu Musa Al-Ashari narrates that the Prophet of Allah said ‘Qiyamah will come when it will be regarded as a shame to act upon Quranic injunctions, when Islam will become a stranger (unwanted religion), when malice and hate will become common among people, when Islamic knowledge is lifted up, when time will become old, when people’s life spans will become short, when months and years and foodstuff will be void of blessing, when untrustworthy people will be regarded and trustworthy and the trustworthy will be regarded as untrustworthy, when the liars will be regarded as truthful and the truthful will be regarded as liars, when violence, bloodshed becomes common, when women with children become displeased and barren women remain happy, when oppression, jealousy and greed become the order of the day, when people begin to die in large numbers, when people dispute over petty issues, when people blatantly follow their passions and whims, when the fountains of knowledge run dry and the folds of ignorance burst forth, when immorality overtakes shamelessness, when orators and lecturers lie openly and when offspring become a cause of grief and anger (for their parents).’ (Kanzul Ummal)
Major Signs of Day of judgement
Saaiduna Abu Huzaifah bin Aseed Ghifari said that once the Prophet of Allah came to them whilst they were discussing amongst themselves. He asked them what they were talking about. The people there said, “We are talking about the Last Hour.” He said to them “As long as you do not see the ten signs, the Last Hour will not come.” Then he counted to them the ten signs:
“The smoke, Dajjal, Beast, the sun will rise in the west, the descention of Isa Ibn Maryam, Yajuj and Majuj and three landslides in the east, west and in the peninsula of Arabia and finally, the fire in Yemen that will drive people towards their gathering place.” (Sahih Musim p.393 v.2)
Only Allah Knows Best
Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham.