To wear clothes, which have pictures on in the masjid?
In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful.
There are ten principles, which have been laid down by the Shariah for the permissibility or impermissibility of wearing clothes.
- Men should have their lower garments or lungis above their ankles.
- The clothes should not be tight or see through to such an extent that their nakedness becomes visible. (For a man this is from down to below his knees and for a woman her whole body except her face, palms and feet.)
- The clothes do not imitate the immoral and the disbelievers.
- Men do not wear such clothing, which has been tailored for women and vice versa.
- A person should not buy clothes, which are out of his capabilities financially.
- A rich or well off person should not wear clothes that people assume him to be poor.
- Abstain from wearing such clothes, which entails arrogance and pride.
- Clothes should be neat, clean and tidy.
- It is unlawful for men to wear silk.
- It is makruh tanzihi for men to wear bright coloured clothing like pure red, pure orange etc…(Aapke Masaail P147 v7)
Clothes which have pictures of living creatures fall under the third category hence it will be impermissible to wear. Furthermore it will also be impermissible to wear it in the Masjids because of the following Hadiths:
- Saaiduna Abu Talha Radiallhu Anhu narrates that the Prophet of Allah Sallallahu Alahi Wasalam has said “The angels do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or pictures.” (Sahih Bukhari P880 v2)
- Saaidaah Aisha Radiallahu Anhu narrates, “Verily, the Prophet of Allah Sallallahu Alahi Wasalam did not leave anything in his home which had pictures on it but broke it.” (Ibid)
Only Allah Knows Best
Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham.