Fatwa ID: 02694
Answered by: Maulana Imran Mughal
What intention should one make before teaching ahaadith?
Please list as many in order to gain maximum reward.
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْم
In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
Assalamualaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh
Imam Nawawī (may Allah have mercy on him) relates a number of actions/intentions one should adorn himself with when teaching anything in general, here are some:
- That he intends to earn the pleasure of Allah by teaching, and not to intend any worldly benefit like fame or wealth.
- That he beautifies himself with the noble character that the Shairah has ordained. This includes but is not limited ascetism from the world, not worrying about it (to: dunya) going away, to be generous, to have a cheerful face, to have forbearance and patience, to uphold taqwa, khushu’ and tranquillity, to be humble and to maintain his own dignity, joking less and upholding the apparent and non-apparent manners of Shairah.
- To be cautious of jealousy, showing off, belittling others.
- in the remembrance of Allah Ta’ala, in making sure to recite Quran, different To be azkhar and duas, and making nafl prayers and keeping fasts.frequent
- To be continuous in striving for knowledge, however, he does so.
- If he can he should start writing so as to polish his knowledge if he has the ability to do so. (This one is normally for scholars).
- To encourage his students to strive for knowledge and not waste their time.
And Allah SWT alone knows best.
Written by Maulana Imran Mughal
Checked and approved Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham
 Yahya bin Sharaf An-Nawawi, Al-Majmoo’ (Jeddah: Maktabatul Irshad, 1970), 1:54-71.