In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful.
It is compulsory to do qadha of prayers one has missed. The Prophet of Allah Sallallahu Alahi Wasalam has said, “Whosoever forgets to pray, he should pray it when he remembers. There is no Kaffarah except that.” (Sahih Bukhari P.84 V.1)
In another hadith, the Prophet of Allah Sallallahu Alahi Wasalam has said, “There is no breach of duty in sleep, breach of duty is in wakefulness. If one of you forgets or remains asleep let him pray it when he remembers it. (Sunan Majah P.51 V.1)
In regards to your question you should estimate how many farz and witr prayers you might have missed since reaching the age of puberty. Take into consideration all the factors which might increase or decrease the number of prayers you might have missed; for example during the month of Ramadhan you were punctual in you prayers etc…
After calculating the number of prayers you missed, you should try and offer them as soon as possible. There is no fixed or specific time for offering the missed prayers, whenever you have time make abulution and offer the prayer. (Raddul Muhtarp.518 v.2 & Bahishti Zewar p.123)
In regards to your second question, if a person has passed away and he has some prayers outstanding whether it was during the period he was ill or young then there are two scenarios:
- The first scenario is that he did not make a will (wassiyat) to his heirs to give fidyah out of his property. In this situation the heirs will not be permitted to execute the fidyah from the deceased’s property. However, if the heirs gave the fidyah out of their own pockets, then it is hoped that Allah (SAW) may accept it and may not hold the deceased responsible for the missed prayers.
- The second scenario is where the deceased gives consent that the fidyah may be taken from his wealth. In this situation the fidyah will be executed after his death as prescribed by the deceased himself.
- (Aap-Ke-Masaail p.359 v.3)
The fidyah for each missed fardh prayer and wajib prayer (witr) is to give:
1. Approximately 1.6kg of wheat
2. Approximately 3.2kg of barley
3. Or the equivalent of the above in cash which will be between £1-£3
(Raddul Muhtar p.532 v.2)
Only Allah Knows Best
Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham