Fatwa ID: 01392
Answered by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah
In the Hanafi madhab I have been taught that delaying in the salah results in sajda sahw e.g after the first tashhahud, I recite durood then stand up for the 3rd rakah, I will have to do sajda sahw for delaying. Is this true? Could you please give me the hadith? Also, in salah, after durood, does one have to recite duas only from the quran or can he recite duas from the hadith too? And if he recites dua from the hadith, will this be delaying the Salaam and result in sajda sahw?
In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful.
Sajdah Sahwa becomes obligatory under the following circumstances:
- Any wajib act being omitted.
- Any wajib act being displaced, i.e. observing it before time or later than its actual occasion of being observed.
- Any wajib act being delayed to the extent of one rukn i.e. the time taken to say subhanallah three times.
- Any wajib act being reported.
- Any wajib act being altered, e.g. loud recitation being recited in place of silent recitation.
- Any fardh act being displaced, i.e. observing it before time or later than its actual occasion of being observed.
- Any fardh act being repeated. (Raddul Muhtar p.543 v.2)
If any of the above mishaps occur due to forgetfulness, only then Sajdah Sahwa will remedy the error. However, if a person deliberately missed the aforementioned things then his salah will break. Sajdah Sahwa will not be sufficient. (Mazahirul Haqq p.21 v.2)
Regarding your question, if you read until “Allahuma Sali Ala Muhammad” then because of the third rakat which is fardh being delayed to the duration of three subhanallah’s, you will have to do Sajdah Sahwa. (Raddul Muhtar p.544 v.2)
Finally, it is Sunnah to recite duas in the final sitting after the Durud Ibrahim which resembles the words of the Qur’an or the transmitted ahadith. (Nurul Idah p.71)
If one is the Imam he should not read any extra duas otherwise Sajdah Sahwa will be obligatory as there would be a delay in performing the Salaam. If one is praying by himself, he could read as many duas he wants without Sajdah Sahwa being obligatory.
Only Allah Knows Best
Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham