Fatwa ID: 04309
Answered by: Maulana Muhammad Afzal Hussain
Is it permissible to carry prayer books and recite from them when performing tawaf and sa'y?
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْم
In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
Jurists listed the actions that are not permissible during the course of Hajj or Umrah, and they did not include 'reciting from a prayer book in the time of Tawaf or Sayi' among the prohibited actions. Therefore, it is allowed to do so. There are certain acts that are not permissible for a person in the state of Ihram. He must keep away from the following to prevent his Hajj from becoming defective or invalid:
1. Sexual intercourse and foreplay
2. Committing a prohibited act
3. Quarrelling or cursing
4. Applying fragrance
5. Clipping nails
6. Putting on stitched garments for men, like a long shirt, loose trousers, jubbah, socks, etc.
7. Covering the head (for men) or face with any usual covering cloth
8. Covering the face and palms for a woman
9. Plucking hair of the head, beard, armpit, or the pubic region
10. Applying oil to hair or body
11. Cutting the plants and grasses of Haram
12. Killing a wildland game no matter whether eating it is permissible or not.
Only Allah knows best
Written by Maulana Muhammad Afzal Hussain
Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham
 Al-Fiqhul Muyassar by Maulana Shafiqur Rahman Nadwi, page: 239-240, publisher: Azhar Academy Ltd. Anwarud-Dirayah Sarhe Waqayah, page: 607, publisher: Islamiyah Kutubkhana Dhaka